Journal Basic Info

  • Impact Factor: 1.995**
  • H-Index: 8
  • ISSN: 2474-1647
  • DOI: 10.25107/2474-1647
**Impact Factor calculated based on Google Scholar Citations. Please contact us for any more details.

Major Scope

  •  Emergency Surgery
  •  Minimally Invasive Surgery
  •  Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
  •  Transplant Surgery
  •  General Surgery
  •  Pediatric Surgery
  •  Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
  •  Neurological Surgery

Abstract

Citation: Clin Surg. 2020;5(1):2716.Research Article | Open Access

Penetrating Chest Injuries after Egyptian Revolution

Ahmed Mostafa El Saied* and Waleed Hassan Rizk

Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Mansoura University, Egypt`

*Correspondance to: Ahmed Mostafa El Saied 

 PDF  Full Text DOI: 10.25107/2474-1647.2716

Abstract

rate than blunt trauma. It is more common in men due to their propensity to violence and the mechanism of injury is usually a gunshot wound or stab wound. Aim: To describe the prevalence of penetrating chest injuries cases after Egyptian revolution admitted to the Emergency Department University Hospital. Methods: The records were reviewed of 180 patients seen at our thoracic surgery hospital over a 7-year period. Results: The group comprised 162 male (90%) and 18 female (10%) patients, with a mean age of 23.0 years. Of those, 108 patients (60%) had left-sided penetrating injury, 63 patients (35%) had right-sided penetrating injury, and 9 patients (5%) had bilateral injury. The left -to-right injury ratio was 1.7:1. Stab wounds were the most frequent mode of injury, comprising 162 cases (90%); the remaining 18 patients (10%) suffered from gunshot wounds, comprising both homicidal and suicidal penetrating traumas. In terms of management, 117 patients (65%) were treated with only tube thoracostomy, 36 patients (20%) had conservative management, and 27 patients (15%) had thoracotomy and exploration. In the 18 gunshot wound patients, 6 (33.3%) had thoracotomy, whereas only 11 (6.8%) of the 162 stab-wound patients had exploration. Conclusion: In this study we emphasize that chest tube thoracostomy should remain by far the most common and appropriate method of treating penetrating injury to the thorax.

Keywords

Penetrating Thoracic Trauma; Chest Trauma; Tube Thoracostomy; Thoracotomy; Egyptian Revolution

Cite the article

El Saied AM, Rizk WH. Penetrating Chest Injuries after Egyptian Revolution. Clin Surg. 2020; 5: 2716..

Search Our Journal

Journal Indexed In

Articles in PubMed

Mesh Sprayer Device with Liquefied Mesh Delivery System: Proposed Alternative for Currently Available Meshes in Hernia Repair and Supplement to Abdominal Closure
 PubMed  PMC  PDF  Full Text
Risk Factors for Visual Impairment in an Uninsured Population and the Impact of the Affordable Care Act
 PubMed  PMC  PDF  Full Text
View More...

Articles with Grants

Curcumin-Induced Adipose-Derived Stem Cell Exosomes Alter Adipogenic Differentiation Capabilities
 Abstract  PDF  Full Text
Low Level of Albumin and Longer Interval to Closure Time Increase the Morbidities in Ileostomy Closure; A Cohort Study of 354 Consecutive Patients
 Abstract  PDF  Full Text
View More...