Journal Basic Info

  • Impact Factor: 1.995**
  • H-Index: 8
  • ISSN: 2474-1647
  • DOI: 10.25107/2474-1647
**Impact Factor calculated based on Google Scholar Citations. Please contact us for any more details.

Major Scope

  •  Bariatric Surgery
  •  Ophthalmic Surgery
  •  Colon and Rectal Surgery
  •  Thoracic Surgery
  •  Pediatric Surgery
  •  Minimally Invasive Surgery
  •  Cardiovascular Surgery
  •  Gastroenterological Surgery

Abstract

Citation: Clin Surg. 2017;2(1):1672.Review Article | Open Access

The Evolving Genetic Landscape of Hirschprung Disease: An Update and Review

Amit Kumar Yadav and Gaurav Chopra

Department of Pathology, Vardhman Mahavir Medical College and Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi, India

*Correspondance to: Amit Kumar Yadav 

 PDF  Full Text DOI: 10.25107/2474-1647.1672

Abstract

Hirschsprung Disease (HD) is a developmental disorder characterized by the complete absence of ganglion cells in the distal gastrointestinal tract. It is the most common cause of functional intestinal obstruction in neonates and children. The aganglionosis is believed to be either due to failure of neural crest cells to migrate, proliferate, differentiate or survive during gut development in the embryonic stage. The incidence of HD is estimated at 1/5000 live births and shows a male predominance. It is usually sporadic, although it can be familial and may be inherited as autosomal dominant or autosomal recessive. In 70% of cases, HD occurs as an isolated trait and in the other 30% it is associated with other congenital malformation syndromes. HD has a complex multifactorial etiology, and genetic factors play a key role in its pathogenesis. Several gene loci appear to be involved. Many of these have been identified by conducting Genome Wide Association (GWAS) studies and recently by Next Generation Sequencing (NGS). These genes encode for receptors, ligands (especially those participating in the RET, EDNRB and Semaphorin signaling pathways), transcriptional factors (PHOX2B & SOX10). These genes are involved in the neural crest cell development and migration that give rise to ganglion cells. Overall, the RET proto-oncogene is considered the major disease causing gene in HD. A greater understanding of the genetic landscape of this disease might pave way for genetic counseling, prenatal and preimplantation diagnosis in the management of HD.

Keywords

Hirschprung disease; Genetics; RET; Genome wide association studies (GWAS); Next generation sequencing (NGS); Semaphorins

Cite the article

Yadav AK, Chopra G. The Evolving Genetic Landscape of Hirschprung Disease: An Update and Review. Clin Surg. 2017; 2: 1672.

Search Our Journal

Journal Indexed In

Articles in PubMed

Monitoring an Ongoing Enhanced Recovery after Surgery (ERAS) Program: Adherence Improves Clinical Outcomes in a Comparison of Three Thousand Colorectal Cases
 PubMed  PMC  PDF  Full Text
Risk Factors for Visual Impairment in an Uninsured Population and the Impact of the Affordable Care Act
 PubMed  PMC  PDF  Full Text
View More...

Articles with Grants

Treatment of a Spontaneous Vertebral Artery-Vertebral Vein Arteriovenous Fistula (AVF) in a Paediatric Patient
 Abstract  PDF  Full Text
Comparison of Two Extended Interbody Fusion Techniques in the Treatment of Adjacent Segment Disease after Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion: Using Cortical Bone Trajectory Screws vs. Traditional Pedicle Screws Combined with a Novel Domino System
 Abstract  PDF  Full Text
View More...