Journal Basic Info

  • Impact Factor: 1.995**
  • H-Index: 8
  • ISSN: 2474-1647
  • DOI: 10.25107/2474-1647
**Impact Factor calculated based on Google Scholar Citations. Please contact us for any more details.

Major Scope

  •  Pediatric Surgery
  •  Plastic Surgery
  •  Emergency Surgery
  •  Thoracic Surgery
  •  Obstetrics Surgery
  •  Robotic Surgery
  •  Ophthalmic Surgery
  •  Breast Surgery

Abstract

Citation: Clin Surg. 2016;1(1):1220.Research Article | Open Access

Pediatric Open Globe Injuries Occurring at Home: A 12-Year Case Series

Sebastian P. Lesniak, Xintong Li, Alain Bauza, Jung H. Son, Marco A. Zarbin, Paul Langer and Neelakshi Bhagat

Department of Ophthalmology, Matossian Eye Associates, USA
Department of Ophthalmology, Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, USA

*Correspondance to: Xintong Li 

 PDF  Full Text DOI: 10.25107/2474-1647.1220

Abstract

Objectives: In children, ocular trauma occurs disproportionately in the home. The purpose of this study is to evaluate the epidemiology, characteristics, and outcomes of pediatric traumatic Open Globe Injuries (OGI) occurring at home, and to compare the observed final Visual Acuity (VA) to the Ocular Trauma Score (OTS) expected VA.Methods: Retrospective chart review of pediatric (ages 0-19) patients with traumatic OGI that presented to University Hospital, Newark and Rutgers New Jersey Medical School between 1997- 2008.Results: Eighty-nine pediatric OGI were identified of which 42 (47%) occurred at home (mean age 5.8 years [range 1-19], 64% male). Penetrating injuries represented 79% of cases, while ruptures comprised the remaining 21%. The most common cause of injury was poking with a sharp object (38%). The most common objects involved in these injuries included broken glass, pens, furniture, knives, screwdrivers, wooden sticks, and toys. Self-injury occurred in 57% cases; siblings were involved in 19% of cases. Retinal detachment occurred in 9 (21%) cases. A comparison with 47 pediatric OGIs that occurred outside of home revealed that injuries at home are more likely to occur in younger children, have better initial and final VA, and are more likely to be penetrating injuries.Conclusions: Nearly half of the pediatric OGI in this study occurred at home. Self-injury was the most common cause (57% cases), which emphasizes the need for close supervision of young children. Visual prognosis for pediatric OGI remains poor. The final VA predicted by OTS correlated with the observed final VA.

Keywords

Eye injuries; Ocular trauma; Open globe injury; Vision; Pediatric

Cite the article

Lesniak SP, Li X, Bauza A, Son JH, Zarbin MA, Langer P, et al. Pediatric Open Globe Injuries Occurring at Home: A 12-Year Case Series. Clin Surg. 2016; 1: 1220.

Search Our Journal

Journal Indexed In

Articles in PubMed

Mesh Sprayer Device with Liquefied Mesh Delivery System: Proposed Alternative for Currently Available Meshes in Hernia Repair and Supplement to Abdominal Closure
 PubMed  PMC  PDF  Full Text
RAF Kinase Inhibitory Protein Expression and Phosphorylation Profiles in Oral Cancers
 PubMed  PMC  PDF  Full Text
View More...

Articles with Grants

Randomized Clinical Trial of the Safety and Efficacy of Autologous Bone Marrow Aspirate Concentrate for No- Option Critical Limb Ischemia in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Patients (DIALEG)
 Abstract  PDF  Full Text
Use of a Statewide Trauma Image Repository Decreases the Rate of Unnecessary Transfers to a Level 1 Trauma Center
 Abstract  PDF  Full Text
View More...